Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Kate Anderson and the Dark Backward and Abysm of Time-Part One

It's been ten years since I created Kate Anderson. The road to the comic has been, without hyperbole, a long one. So, where did she come from?

Kate was created for a sketch I wrote called The Spork of Death. It was the first thing I wrote for the stage and it was pretty silly. On the page, Kate wasn't really formulated as a character. She was made entirely by her performer, Monica (Mo) Pease. Mo gave her some flair, some sarcasm, and wackiness. These are all things that can be seen on the page today. Thanks, Mo!

The name Kate came from The Taming of the Shrew, I don't know why. I hadn't been reading it at the time or anything, but it was a conscious decision. Anderson stems from Jon Anderson, as I was listening to a lot of Yes at the time. Also, Anderson is a nicely generic name. It has a very familiar quality to it. This was to pay off later in a big way.

Next time, we'll open The Book of the Dead and peruse its secrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment